Lots has happened in the last month. About two weeks ago, we received word that Alan's father had cancer and was not doing well. Alan hopped on a plane and flew out to Seattle immediately. DeYette and I packed up our little abode and followed two days later. Alan was able to spend some time with his father, swap stories, and say good by. Unfortunately, by the time DeYette, Neill and I arrived, Ron was having serious difficulties and passed away a day later at home. It was very quick and quite a shock. We are very thankful to have been able to be here. The thought that we might have been in Timbukto and not been able to get home leaves us a bit shaken. Meanwhile, I am staying with Nancy and trying to be of help around the house - at least I can cook.
Filling in the blanks -
It was great getting home last month. Alan and enjoyed a week with my family with DeYette and Neill bopping in and out. We were able to get our taxes done, visit Napa, and grab a few things we had left behind. We then flew up to Seattle and helped Alan's parents start moving into their new home. As with most construction, it wasn't quite done, but Neill and Alan were able to move over a lot of the heavy stuff.
We returned to Ft. Lauderdale to wait for word on a boat. Both Alan and I were able to start researching a lot of things, but we wanted a boat. I took a class entitled Medical Person in Charge. While at sea, I am now "qualified" to administer shots, place IV's, put in catheters, suture (I know 3 different stitches) lacerations, CPR, and loads of other things. I'm counting on the addage that if prepared, I won't need it!
We finally received word that Blake, our boss, had put in an offer on a boat in Marmaris, Turkey. Alan was on a plane two days later to join the surveyor in inspecting the boat. Unfortunately, 10 days later it was determined the boat just had too many things wrong. Alan boarded the plane back to Ft. Lauderdale, about a 28 hour journey.
Robin and Mark made a quick overnight stop in Miami, so I hung out down there (about 25 miles south) for a bit. Then DeYette and Annie, our neice/Robin and Mark's daughter, arrived for Spring Break. As fun as that may sound, remember they are with Mom/Aunt, and it was drizzly weather. They did get a day or two at the beach, and we went on a very entertaining alligator viewing boat ride in the Everglades.
Alan arrived home midweek and then basically took off for Seattle.
Fortuitously, Blake has made another offer on a boat. This time in Vancouver Canada, about 2 hours from here. Alan is up there right now with the surveyor. For a lot of reasons, this boat should be in a lot better shape, and we believe this is the one. If so, we will probably be in Vancouver or Seattle for the next month or so. We really appreciate how well this is working out.
We're taking it a day at a time.
Hugs to everyone.
Carol and Alan
HELLO...
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your dad...as you know I lost my dad in January and I am so glad you got some time with him...
If the boat is purchased in Vancouver---does that mean you will take off from the West Coast?? Or will you take the boat through the canal twice???
Thanks for keeping us posted...I am sooo glad we got to see you last month!!
Will be thinking of you and drooling while you have the adventure of a life time...
Matt
Sorry to hear about Alan's dad . . . it seems to be in trend with people our age. Hope things begin to look up with this new boat opportunity . . . take care of yourselves. cw
ReplyDelete